The Hancock County Shrine Club is part of an international organization that lives by the Shiner’s Creed. They support their beliefs through great philanthropic efforts. One such effort includes the creation and growth of the Hancock County Shrine Club Scholarship, a component fund of the Hancock County Community Foundation. This scholarship is designed with special emphasis on the medical field, consistent with the major emphasis the organization puts on providing free care to children at Shriners Hospitals’ located throughout North America.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be residents of Hancock County, be a graduating senior or graduate of a Hancock County high school, and must be furthering their education in the medical field pursuing a technical, two-year, four-year degree, or more advanced degree. Annual recipients of this award are based in order of importance: Financial Need ~ Citizenship ~ Achievement.
The Shriner’s Creed
- Shriners believe in God and that He created man to serve His purpose, among which is service to others in His name.
- We believe that care for the less fortunate, especially children who suffer burns and crippling diseases, is our institutional calling.
- We are patriots, willing to serve His country with fidelity and courage. We cherish independence under law and freedom with responsibility.
- We honor family. We respect our parents, wives, and children. We should instill in our children the tenets of this creed, and the heritage from which it emanates.
- As individuals, we pledge ourselves to integrity, virtue, and nobility of character. Our intentions will be honorable, our relations will be trustworthy and our spirits forgiving of each other.
- As brothers, we offer each other fraternal affection and respect. Together we will support each other in adherence to this creed so that we and our communities will be better because of our fraternity and its principles.
- As Shriners, we look beyond ourselves to serve the needs of others, especially children who cannot help themselves. We believe Shriners Hospital to be the world’s greatest philanthropy, and we covenant with each other to support its “temples of mercy” with spirit, time, talent, and means.