The Hancock County Community Foundation awarded a total of $54,624 in capacity building grants from the foundation’s Hancock County Enrichment Fund to 11 Hancock County nonprofit organizations on Thursday, July 24. Those organizations include Alternatives Inc., American Military Heritage Foundation, Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD), Edelweiss Equine Assisted Therapy Center, FUSE, Greenfield Central School Foundation, Hancock County Children’s Choir, Leaders in Navigating Knowledge (LINK), Love INC, Regreening Greenfield in partnership with Greenfield in Bloom and PARCS Inc., and The Salvation Army.
HCCF staff, donors, Board members, and representatives from local nonprofits delivered “gifts” to the 11 grantees with the help of Santa, his sleigh, and a Christmas in July “community plunge” that kicked off at the Community Foundation, aka the North Pole, with seven of the grantees. Throughout the day, Santa’s sleigh towed community members around the county to the remaining four nonprofit locations to get a first-hand look at their facilities, learn more about their organization, discover how they will use the capacity building grant funds, and, of course, deliver their gifts.
For the first time since 2008, HCCF kicked off a capacity building grant cycle this year because of needs expressed from our nonprofits during an operational grant cycle in the previous year. Ranging from $1,000 to $10,000, the grants are designed to allow local nonprofits to hire consultants for projects that give them the tools they need in organizational areas, such as mission, vision, strategy, governance, leadership, strategic relationships, or internal operations which, in turn, help them better deliver their services. Each grant funded 80 percent of the total consultant cost, and the organizations will contribute the remaining 20 percent to the total cost. Some of the projects funded include strategic planning and Board development, marketing and communications, organizational assessment and development, web design, and volunteer management.